Sunday, July 31, 2011

Let the Fasting Begin

Sadly with all of this momentum built up post-IST I will be returning to village at potentially the least work-conducive time of year: Ramadan. Yes, Senegalese Islam is somewhat more relaxed than elsewhere but I have been told that this is one thing they do take seriously. Starting tomorrow (assuming the moon plays along) there will be no eating or drinking between sun up and sun down.

Volunteers all take their own approach to Ramadan, with some not even attempting to fast and others going the whole month. There is no expectation (in most areas) that we will fast. We are not only recognized at not Muslim, but generally seen as weak and child-like (thus the surprise when I actually pull my own water from the well). However, most volunteers give fasting a try simply to better understand what everyone else will be feeling for the next month, even if just for a day or two. I plan to try to fast – but will still drink water, I’m not that crazy – for a few days just to see what it’s like. I see this as an exercise akin to living in the same homes, eating the same foods and taking the same kind of bucket baths as everyone else – it’s a way for me to better understand the community, what they’re going through day-to-day and how it impacts their health.

Now, I’m probably going to cheat. I mean, let’s be honest – anyone who’s lived with me knows I can get a little grouchy when hunger sets in (remember that morning in Laos, Maria Li?). But I really will make the effort for a few days and probably pretend not to eat lunch the rest of the month while actually sneaking power bars in my hut (apparently, the lunch that is made for the kids is usually unappealing leftovers from the night before – no thank you). I’m also planning to try out my new nutritional porridge recipes so that when work gets going in September I’ll be ready (and maybe supplement the kids’ diets this month if I can get them to be taste testers). I will also be spending a bit more time in Kolda than usual in order to prepare visual aids and work on the language textbook that Sharon and I have volunteered to revise.

No comments:

Post a Comment