Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Game Plan

I spent last week working at a USAID sponsored camp that’s meant to jump start students' summer vacation-addled brains before the school year begins in October. The camps are a week long and offer middle school students refresher lessons in math, French, life-skills, singing (?) and a few other generally silly subjects. Two other health volunteers and I provided lessons on malaria, hand washing, oral-rehydration solution, home-made mosquito lotion making and sex-ed (FYI bananas aren't always the best choice for condom demonstrations). Although the ratio of time spent napping under a tree to time spent actually teaching was less than ideal, it was great practice (plus, free t-shirt!).

I’m back in Kolda for two days this week to do another USAID sponsored event, a “training of coaches,” that’s meant to teach skills for youth outreach. I’m hoping it will give me some ideas for working with the local school (assuming I understand any of the training, which is always a question) and potentially doing some life-skills sessions once classes restart in October.

After this it’s time to head back to village to start some “real” work. The game plan for the next few months is:

-repair community garden fence

-dig garden beds and plant the first round of seeds with the women’s group

-install a hand-crank pump in the garden well

-visit nearby (and supposedly awesome) community gardens for inspiration

-dig and plant my own backyard garden (including fun flower beds)

-improve 8 wells in Sare Sara and surrounding villages (a continuation of my anciene’s work)

-2011 health summit in Thies with all health volunteers the last week of October (and subsequent visit to the beach)

-Celebrate Halloween

-continue monthly baby weighings (and hopefully a few causeries)

-Action Plan meeting with Peace Corps officials and my entire village

-observe a 2nd year volunteer’s nutritional porridge project (more inspiration)

-help with another volunteer’s enriched flour project

-Celebrate Thanksgiving

-Potential bike trip to work off my “turkey” indulgence

-Christmas! Family! London!

-Mama P comes to Senegal

-All volunteer conference and annual West African Invitational Softball Tournament

For those of you working 8-hour days in a cubicle I’m not sure if this seems like a lot or a little, but I’m excited and now that I’ve written it on the blog I can be held somewhat accountable. I’m sure that other things will come up, some will get dropped off and nothing will go according to plan but so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment